Butterfly braids are among the many gorgeous, beautiful, protective hairstyles trending this season. This article will teach you how to do butterfly braids.
Butterfly braids are a relatively new type of braids that many ladies are rocking this season. They are undoubtedly beautiful and add a new twist to the regular braids.
This type of braid is created in a special way whereby as the hair is braided down its length, extension hair is slightly pulled out from each side of the braid to resemble a butterfly’s wings.
There are numerous types of butterfly braids you can decide to get. From butterfly knotless braids to butterfly locs, butterfly Ghana weaving and many others. The possibilities are endless.
Apart from its beauty and uniqueness, another thing that endears butterfly braids to many ladies is that they can last 4 to 6 weeks with proper care.
Read: 18 Latest Kinky Hairstyles in Nigeria 2023
How to Do Butterfly Braids
You are probably wondering how to do butterfly braids. Well, worry no more as it is not as difficult as it may look.
As mentioned earlier, there are different types of butterfly braids that you can get, but the knotless butterfly braid style is the most common one.
If you want to know how to do butterfly braids, keep reading!
How to Make Knotless Butterfly Braids
Knotless braids are one of the most common types of braids to get. Many people love to get knotless braids mainly because they are very painless and last very long.
The butterfly knotless braid adds a beautiful twist to the regular knotless braids.
If you want knotless braids with the butterfly effect, follow these steps to guide you.
- First, you must wash your hair to ensure it is clean and ready for a new style.
- The next step is to part the hair into clean and even sections.
- Secure each section with a hair band to ensure the sections do not mix.
- Apply a braiding gel or pomade to the roots of your natural hair.
- Next, start braiding your hair in a three-strand twist plait method.
- Add your desired hair extension as you get away from the roots.
- Pull out a tiny bit of each extension as you add in the hair extension to create the butterfly look.
- After braiding, use your palms to lightly rub each braid together to relieve the tightness.
How to Make Butterfly Locs
Butterfly locs are another type of butterfly braid that is trendy this season. They are similar to faux locs and have an incredibly beautiful protective hairstyle you can rock all year round.
To achieve butterfly locs, you will need a crotchet needle and about 4 to 6 packs of wavy hair extensions.
Follow these steps to install your butterfly locs.
- First of all, you need to make sure your hair is clean and well moisturized.
- Next, divide your hair into sections and secure each with a band.
- Next, use hair gel to hold each section to give the root a clean look.
- Then braid or twist your hair without adding any extensions.
- When you are done braiding, grab your crotchet needle or pin and pass it through the root of your braid by your scalp.
- Now, loop the hair extension in the hook of the needle, close the hook, and pull it out through the braid, leaving about one-quarter of the extension on one side and the rest on the other.
- The next thing to do is to wrap the extension around your natural hair with the longer side of the extension.
- Ensure you wrap it about seven times at the base to keep it firm.
- Once the base is firm enough, keep wrapping the extension until you reach the end of your braid, but you don’t need to make it tight.
- The next step is to seal the ends of your curls to ensure they don’t loosen up. You can make a loop at the end or use nail glue.
- Repeat the process until all the braids are covered, and you are ready to rock your hair for about 4 to 8 weeks.
How to Do Jumbo Braids
Jumbo braids are another protective hairstyle that ladies love to rock this season. Jumbo butterfly braids are gorgeous and an easy alternative for people who want to get the knotless braid, but do not want to sit in the salon for long hours.
To do the jumbo butterfly braid is similar to a knotless braid. Here is how you can do your jumbo butterfly braid.
- Part your hair into large sections.
- Braid the root with the three-strand braid method, add your extension bit by bit and remember to draw out the butterfly effect.
- When you achieve your desired length, rub the braid together, and you are ready to rock your jumbo butterfly braid.
FAQs on How to Do Butterfly Braids
How long do butterfly braids last?
With proper care and maintenance, butterfly braids can last 4 to 6 weeks. Some people can carry theirs longer than this, but butterfly braids typically last 4 to 6 weeks.
How many packs of hair do you need for butterfly braids?
The number of hair packs you need to do butterfly braids typically depends on the type of braid you are getting and the length.
However, you may need about 3 to 6 packs to achieve any style you want. Sometimes, you might need more. You need to ask your hairstylist beforehand.
What kind of hair is used for butterfly braid?
Any type of hair can be used for butterfly braids, depending on the type of braid you want to get.
Butterfly braids are beautiful protective hairstyles that gorgeous girls are rocking this season. They are not only beautiful but also very easy to install. This guide will help you to do your next butterfly braid.