One thing that is familiar to students of any tertiary institution or aspiring students in Nigeria is the ASUU strike. The strike is not just common with schools under ASUU, polytechnics also go on strike.
The constant strike taken up by schools under ASUU develop into an extended stay of students in the universities. A student admitted for a four-year course eventually spends five, six, or seven years at the university. The continuous strike is not to the student’s liking.
For this cause, a lot of students would jump at any opportunity to attend schools where they benefit from a constant study period (i.e. a four-years course does not get into the fifth or sixth year). This is only possible if your school is not under ASUU.
This article contains a list of Schools under ASUU. This is to direct you whilst you make your decision on your choice of university. students are not sure if their school will be part of the strike if rumors of a strike circulate.
If your university appears on this list, there is no doubt about them joining the strike. we need to define ASUU and what they stand for as we get down on the list.
About ASUU: An Overview
ASUU is an acronym for the academic staff union of Universities (ASUU).
The bodies come together to form the general body. These local bodies can go on strike separately. The union, ASUU, was founded in 1978. As a union, fighting for the success of Nigerian universities and their needs is their major priority. The only way to get it is to go on strike.
READ ALSO: The Best 5 Private Universities in Abuja
Current ASUU Leadership
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is a trade union of university teachers in Nigeria, founded in 1978. The union is committed to improving the working conditions and welfare of university teachers, as well as advocating for better funding of the university system in Nigeria.
As of my knowledge cut off in 2021, the current leadership of ASUU includes:
- Professor Abiodun Osoyemi Osodeke Ogunyemi – National President: Professor Osodeke is a former Vice Chancellor of the University of Agriculture, Makurdi, and a seasoned academic with many years of experience in the university system. Professor Osodeke assumed the position of National President in 2018 and has been instrumental in leading the union in its advocacy efforts.
- Dr. Chuka Ndubuisi Odumegwu – National Secretary: Dr. Odumegwu is a professor of Geography and a former Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He assumed the position of National Secretary in 2018 and has been actively involved in the union’s efforts to improve the working conditions of university teachers.
- Dr. Ademola Aremu – National Treasurer: Dr. Aremu is a professor of Environmental Science and a former Dean of the Faculty of Science at the University of Lagos. He assumed the position of National Treasurer in 2018 and is responsible for the union’s financial affairs.
- Dr. Nasir Fagge – National Financial Secretary: Dr. Fagge is a professor of Physics and a former Dean of the Faculty of Science at the University of Maiduguri. He assumed the position of National Financial Secretary in 2018 and is responsible for the union’s financial management.
These leaders, along with other members of the ASUU National Executive Council, are responsible for directing the activities of the union and ensuring that its goals are achieved.
- Pusan National University Scholarships in South Korea 2022/2023
- List of State Universities in Nigeria with More Details
- List of Colleges of Education in Nigeria
- Top Ten Nigerian Universities
Schools Under ASUU
Here is the complete list of universities/schools under ASUU, compiled into two (2) categories: Federal and State Universities.
List of Federal Universities Under ASUU
- Nigerian Maritime University
- Nnamdi Azikiwe Unizik (UNIZIK)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- University Of Abuja
- University Of Agriculture
- University Of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University Of Calabar (Unical)
- University Of Health Technology
- University Of Ibadan (UI)
- University Of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University
- Ahmadu Bello University
- Bayero University
- Federal University Gashua
- Federal University Of Agriculture
- Federal University Of Petroleum Resources
- Federal University Of Technology Akure
- Federal University, Otuoke
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti
- Federal University, Wukari
- Michael Okpara University Of Agricultural
- Modibbo Adama University Of Technology
- National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Nigerian Army University Biu
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna
- Federal University Of Technology, Minna
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri
- Federal University, Birnin
- Federal University, Dutse
- Federal University, Dutsin-ma
- Federal University, Gusau
- Federal University, Kashere
- Federal University, Lafia
- Federal University, Lokoja
- Federal University, Ndifu-alike
- University Of JOS (UNIJOS)
- University Of Lagos
- University Of Maiduguri
- University Of Nigeria
- University Of Port-Harcourt
- University Of Uyo
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University
List of State Universities Under ASUU
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education,Rumuolumeni
- Imo State University, Owerri
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso
- Lagos State University Ojo, Lagos
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- Niger Delta Unversity, Yenagoa
- Northwest University, Kano
- Olabisi Onabanjo University Ago-Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science & Technology, Okitipupa
- Osun State University, Oshogbo
- Plateau State University, Bokkos
- Bukar Abba Ibrahim University, Damaturu
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar
- Delta State University Abraka
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu
- Gombe State Univeristy, Gombe Professor Abdullahi Mahad
- Sokoto State University, Sokoto
- Tai Solarin Univ. of Education, Ijebu-Ode
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Technical University, Ibadan
- Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University, Katsina
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Adamawa State University Mubi
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Anambra State University of Science & Technology, Uli
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- ASUU Strike: 5 things students should be prepared for upon resumption
- Commonwealth Scholarships – All You Need to Know
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is ASUU?
The Academic Staff Union of Universities is abbreviated as ASUU. It is a Nigerian union made up of academic employees (lecturers, researchers, and professors) from universities throughout the country.
Is there a list of schools under ASUU?
The Academic Worker’s Organization of Institutions (ASUU) is an organization that represents academic workers in Nigerian institutions. As a result, all federal and state institutions in Nigeria have academic staff that are ASUU members. It would be impossible to present a full list of all ASUU universities, but some notable ones include the University of Lagos, the University of Ibadan, the University of Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello University, and many others
How do ASUU strikes affect students?
Students may suffer as a result of ASUU strikes. When there is a strike, academic activity in the affected universities are normally halted. This means that lectures, exams, and other academic events are pushed back, leading students’ education and graduation schedules to slip. A strike might last anything from a few weeks to several months.
Are there alternative unions to ASUU?
Yes, there are other unions that represent various sections of the Nigerian educational system. The Senior Personnel Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), for example, represents non-teaching personnel in universities and other educational institutions, but the Non-Academic Workers Union (NASU) represents a larger variety of non-teaching workers in universities and other educational institutions. These unions are concerned with the well-being and rights of their members.
Are private universities in Nigeria under ASUU?
Private universities in Nigeria are not under ASUU. ASUU primarily represents academic staff in federal and state universities, which are publicly funded. Private universities have their own associations and unions that cater to the interests of their academic staff.