HomeSportsPremier League round-up: Wolves end Manchester City’s 100% record, Manchester United lose...

Premier League round-up: Wolves end Manchester City’s 100% record, Manchester United lose at home again as Arsenal cruise past Bournemouth

Wolves handed Manchester City their first Premier League loss of the season at Molineux when Hwang Hee-chan netted a second-half winner, securing a surprising victory over the reigning champions.

City’s manager, Pep Guardiola, had to watch from the stands due to a one-match touchline ban, leaving him unable to influence his team as they struggled to assert their usual dominance. Even their prolific striker, Erling Haaland, had only one clear chance during the game.

At one point, it appeared that the visiting team was poised for victory after Julian Alvarez beautifully curled in a free-kick to equalize Ruben Dias’ early own goal.

READ ALSO: 10-man Manchester City retain top spot in the Premier League after Nottingham defeat as Manchester United’s win at Burnley ends three straight defeats

READ ALSO: Davido’s alleged side chic, Anita under fire for posting fake pregnancy scan

However, reminiscent of Pedro Neto’s earlier right-wing attack that led to the opening goal, Nelson Semedo’s forward surge inspired Wolves to score their second, ultimately ending their six-match losing streak against City.

Manchester United 0:1 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace secured an impressive victory at Old Trafford, dealing Manchester United their second consecutive home defeat in the Premier League, courtesy of Joachim Andersen’s exceptional strike.

The encounter marked their second meeting in just five days, with Erik ten Hag’s side comfortably clinching a 3-0 victory in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday.

In that midweek clash, Palace strategically rested several key first-team players, presenting a different challenge for the hosts in their encounter on Saturday. The away team displayed a flawless performance, demonstrating resilience and skill.

Following Tyrick Mitchell’s crucial clearance of Rasmus Hojlund’s attempt, Palace seized the lead when Andersen skillfully drove a first-time shot into the top corner following a free-kick.

Despite Manchester United’s relentless offensive efforts, they struggled to penetrate the Palace defense effectively. When they managed to break through, goalkeeper Sam Johnstone showcased outstanding form, denying their attempts.

Bournemouth 0:4 Arsenal

Arsenal secured a commanding 4-0 win against Bournemouth, with Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard, and Ben White all finding the back of the net, and Kai Havertz registering his first goal for the club.

Saka initiated the scoring with a straightforward header, capitalizing on a rebound after Gabriel Jesus’ header hit the woodwork.

Odegaard extended the lead from the penalty spot, taking advantage of Max Aarons’ unnecessary challenge on Eddie Nketiah. The first half concluded with Arsenal leading 2-0 and soon after, they increased the lead to 3-0 when Bournemouth conceded another penalty. Kai Havertz stepped up and confidently converted the opportunity.

READ ALSO: Declan Rice injury blow for Arsenal as he misses training

In the dying moments of the game, Ben White added a fourth goal, adding a polished finish to an already impressive performance. This victory propelled Arsenal to 17 points and temporarily secured them the second position in the league, trailing Manchester City by just one point.

Meanwhile, winless Bournemouth finds themselves in 18th place in the Premier League table, with only three points ahead of critical fixtures against struggling opponents Everton, Wolves, and Burnley.

Tottenham 2:1 Liverpool

Curtis Jones and Diogo Jota were both shown red cards as Liverpool, reduced to nine men, suffered their first defeat of the Premier League season in a painful last-minute 2-1 loss to Tottenham.

Despite Liverpool’s hopes to capitalize on Manchester City’s surprising defeat to Wolves earlier that day, Ange Postecoglou’s team moved into second place in the Premier League table, trailing Pep Guardiola’s champions by a single point, courtesy of Joel Matip’s 96th-minute own goal.

The visitors initially posed a greater threat, with Vicario making a sensational double save to deny Cody Gakpo and Andy Robertson in the early exchanges.

However, the dynamic of the match shifted dramatically in the 26th minute when the referee, following a VAR review, upgraded Jones’ caution to a straight red for a lunge on Yves Bissouma.

Liverpool’s frustration escalated when Luis Diaz’s goal was disallowed due to a questionable offside decision, a ruling later acknowledged by the refereeing organization PGMOL as incorrect. Seizing the opportunity, Spurs took the lead 10 minutes later when Heung-min Son capitalized on excellent buildup play from James Maddison and Richarlison.

Despite being a man down, Liverpool continued to threaten on the counterattack and equalized in first-half stoppage time when Gakpo struck a powerful shot into the net from Virgil van Dijk’s knockdown.

Newcastle 2:0 Burnley

Newcastle’s persistence paid dividends as they secured a comfortable victory over Burnley, a team still in pursuit of their first Premier League win this season.

Miguel Almiron broke the deadlock for Eddie Howe’s team, stunning everyone with a remarkable long-range strike into the top corner at the 14-minute mark.

Despite Burnley starting the game strongly, including an early opportunity for Zeki Amdouni, Almiron’s goal disrupted their momentum, and Vincent Kompany’s team struggled to pose a significant threat to Nick Pope’s goal thereafter.

The Magpies steadily gained control of the game and displayed dominance in both halves, with Elliot Anderson, Anthony Gordon, and Alexander Isak all coming close to scoring.

Newcastle further solidified their lead 15 minutes before the final whistle, with Isak calmly slotting the ball into the bottom-right corner from the penalty spot after Gordon was fouled by Ameen Al-Dakhil.

Aston Villa 6:1 Brighton

Ollie Watkins showcased a stellar performance with a remarkable hat-trick, propelling Aston Villa to a dominant 6-1 victory against the previously high-flying Brighton at Villa Park.

The hosts extended their impressive streak to 10 consecutive Premier League victories on home turf, unleashing an electrifying start that saw them score three goals within the initial 26 minutes.

Watkins was the driving force behind Brighton’s unexpected downfall, initiating the scoring at the 14-minute mark with a close-range goal following an exceptional move involving Matty Cash and John McGinn.

The Villa striker then swiftly secured his second goal merely seven minutes later, capitalizing on a rapid break by cutting in from the left and firing a precise low shot into the near post.

Brighton, who could have equaled leaders Manchester City’s points with a victory, struggled defensively and faced continuous exposure. Their woes deepened when Pervis Estupinan inadvertently turned Moussa Diaby’s off-target shot into his own net. Roberto de Zerbi reacted with a triple substitution at halftime, and two of the substitutes combined effectively to narrow the deficit on the 50-minute mark.

Joao Pedro delivered a cross from the left byline, allowing Ansu Fati to powerfully strike the ball in at the far post, claiming his inaugural goal for the Seagulls since his loan move from Barcelona.

Alfred Saiki
Alfred Saiki
A passionate sports journalist and administrator. I want to see the world.