If you recently opened an account with First Bank, you might not know how to check your First Bank account balance easily. But before you go storming into the nearest bank for answers, have a seat, take a sip of something cold, and read through this article.
Before we talk about how to check account balance, a relatively easy task, let’s first look at the profile of First Bank Nigeria.
How did this corporation grow to become a leading pioneer in the finance industry? How did it start? Was it built by Nigerians?
Let’s find out.
SEE: Infinix Smart 5 Price in Nigeria
History of First Bank
“First Bank” is more than a name.
It is an achievement.
The First Bank of Nigeria is the oldest bank in Nigeria, and they have maintained that prestige to date. Since it was founded in 1894, FirstBank has contributed steadily to building solid relationships, good corporate governance, and a thriving economy.
Sir Alfred Jones, a shipping magnate from Liverpool, founded the First Bank of Nigeria.
They commenced business on a small scale in Lagos, Nigeria, while the main office was located in Liverpool, England.
But at the time, they were not First Bank.
Their first name was the Bank of British West Africa (BBWA).
More on the Story:
- The Bank changed its name in 1957 from Bank of British West Africa (BBWA) to Bank of West Africa (BWA).
- Then in 1966, they merged with Standard Bank, UK, and adopted the name Standard Bank of West Africa Limited.
- More changes in nomenclature also occurred in 1979 and 2012 respectively.
- In 1979, they became First Bank of Nigeria Limited.
- One final time in 2012, the Bank changed its name again to FBN Holdings Plc.
SEE: How To Link Your NIN To Your MTN Sim
First Bank and People
One wonderful thing about First Bank is its manpower development policy. This policy recognizes the contribution of human resources to the growth and development of the society.
For this particular reason, several initiatives are geared towards providing necessary support to staff members. These initiatives help enable First Bank to achieve its targets.
SEE: How to Borrow Airtime from 9mobile
An exceptional team of professionals work for First Bank and contribute significantly to development in different sectors across the country.
First Bank’s affiliates are highly wanted in both the public and private sectors.
How to Check Your First Bank Account Balance
There are mainly two ways to check your account balance. First is the online method, and the second is the USSD method.
This is an easy way to check your account balance because it doesn’t contain many processes. All you need to do is download the mobile application on your phone. Your account balance displays on your screen after you log in. Those with smartphones usually apply this method.
This is the basic method. While the USSD code can be used by anyone, it is more commonly applied by those with no smart devices. Once you have the following:
- A First Bank account
- A registered phone number
Then you are just one dial away from enjoying the 894 experience. You can use the 894 method to check your First Bank account balance without using the internet. The following steps will teach you how to activate USSD Banking:
SEE: How to Check Glo Account Balance
Steps To Activate USSD Banking:
- Dial *894*0# to see a list of masked debit card numbers linked to your account
- Select your preferred option
- Enter the 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) for the selected debit card
- Create a new 5-digit PIN
- Your number is now LIVE on the FirstBank USSD Quick Banking Service.
To check your account balance, dial *894*00#
More to Know About 894 Service
- You can transfer money, buy airtime for yourself and others, check your account balances, make purchases, pay your bills, open accounts, and lots more
- You are able to use the service on more than one account
- You can use this service on all mobile networks (MTN, GLO, 9Mobile, Airtel)
- 894 is secure as it requires registration and PIN authentication on all your banking transactions
If you have any further issues or require further assistance on how to check your first bank account balance, please contact their customer hotline via (0700-34778-2668228). You could also email firstcontac[email protected]. Or visit the nearest First Bank branch.